Like most other things in life, the pick of the bunch is first off the tree… and it is no different with good rental properties. It pays to be prepared so that when the perfect property is listed, you can secure it quickly.
What are you looking for?
The first thing you might like to do is work out what kind of property you are looking for. Things to consider may include, but are not limited to: -
- How many bedrooms do you need?
- Do you need a garden?
- How long do you need to rent for?
- When do you need to move? (We recommend starting your search 6-8 weeks before)
- Do you have a pet? If so, this may limit the properties that are available to you
- Furnished or unfurnished
- Location – eg do you need access to a station/bus route/main road
- Amenities – schools, shops, pubs, cinema, sports centre
Decide on what are your “must haves” and what you can compromise on then make sure you Register with Downer & Co so we can keep you informed of all properties that become available that fit your criteria and budget – contact us.
Now you are armed with your priority list, you will no doubt start viewing potential properties. You will need to be prepared to act quickly and be able to make an offer when you see the right one – and be warned; it might be the first or second one you see!
To make sure you do not lose out on the perfect property, get yourself ready: -
- Start viewing properties in good time e.g., 6-8 weeks before you need to move.
- Have your reservation fee ready (we will request this as a Bank Transfer after the landlord accepts your offer).
- Prepare your referees – We will need one from your employer and one from your previous landlord and our referencing company will contact them to get these. It may be useful to let them know so they know to expect a call or an email.
- Carry originals that prove your ID and address for the previous three years (e.g., bank statements, utility bills etc) as we will need copies of these for your file.
- Download a Tenant Application Form and be ready to sign it (this will enable us to check your references and do a credit check on you).
If you have any concerns, queries or just want a chat about any aspect of renting, pop in for a chat or contact us.
Get in touch
Call us on 01635 523777 or send us a message...